Login or register with Wargaming Account

OpenTTD Shenanigans

Post things that don't have to remain secret here.
Access: Registered users (read&post) and guests (read only).

Moderators: Officer, Commander

OpenTTD Shenanigans

Postby Swoopie » 06 Sep 2016 01:43

There are few people in the clan who play OpenTTD (Thoryk is even hosting a server for it). Basically for those who are not aware what "OpenTTD" (Aka Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe) is, it's all about getting different sorts of cargo from point A to point B and making money. The game is free to download, so if you want, go grab it from their homepage and start building your company!

The homepage: https://www.openttd.org/en/
More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenTTD

Anyway, the reason I started this thread was to share your builds with other people/discuss the game.
Something I've managed to do today (I've made bridges, stations and trees transparent so these might look a bit funny at first). This is the main junction for my coal drop off point (I got 60 coal trains running atm, all using this very same junction):
Spoiler:

Then when CW's today started, I decided to start working on a bigger project while waiting for the games to start:
Spoiler:

And before the final battle, managed to finish the junction (This is nowhere near being optimized, but it works so w/e). I could've also make it more compact but since I had the room to work with, I decided to go with a larger one so trains wouldn't have to slow down so much for tight turns.
Spoiler:

The southwest route goes to my factory (Right now only bringing grain + livestock trains in so the 6 track system is kinda useless), but once I get my steel production going, it's also gonna go into the same factory. The northwest/southeast route is my actual mainline, where I've connected all my stuff (So when I want to connect a new industry to my rail network, I just have to hook it up to my mainline and it's done).

Swoopie

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Re: OpenTTD Shenanigans

Postby RedlineRailgunningRemmel » 06 Sep 2016 17:41

Nice job looking at the screenshots, is this your first attempt or did you play it before? I know when you start the game next time you look at the clock it's 02:00....

The base game is nice, but the expanded supply/industry chains and bigger trucks mods make it even more fun. It's a fantastic game if you like the optimize every last bit of your transport lines. Another time-suck is Factorio (also has trains). ._. 2 many games 2 little timeh.

RedlineRailgunningRemmel

Postby Swoopie » 06 Sep 2016 17:51

Remmke wrote:Nice job looking at the screenshots, is this your first attempt or did you play it before? I know when you start the game next time you look at the clock it's 02:00....

The base game is nice, but the expanded supply/industry chains and bigger trucks mods make it even more fun. It's a fantastic game if you like the optimize every last bit of your transport lines. Another time-suck is Factorio (also has trains). ._. 2 many games 2 little timeh.

I've played this a little bit before, but it has gone like: Airplanes-->Get money-->Do train stuff-->They are pretty much only from point A to B single track cause of lack of skill with signals/junction/station layouts. This time I decided to make the game easier (No breakdowns + terrain very flat + very smooth) so I can focus on learning how different kinds of signals/junctions work, instead of wasting my time trying to make it around a hill etc. At the moment I'm making over £5m a year with only trains and I'm still improving my network. Gonna post more pictures after todays cw's most likely.

Atm I'm in the process of upgrading my mainline from partial quad track (rest of it is double track) to complete quad track. So much work required to get all these junctions to work properly.

This is what my map looks atm (I've only focused on coal mines/farms, need to get export of goods going + steel manufacturing before oil rigs start appearing).

Oh and yeah I got Factorio aswell... I spent frigging 6h on the first (aka tutorial) level, without noticing.

Swoopie

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby somegras » 06 Sep 2016 19:58

Those screenshots remind me of the old Railroad tycoon. Good times.

somegras

Postby Swoopie » 07 Sep 2016 01:08

Managed to upgrade my mainline today from double track to a quad track one, had to redo like 15 or something junctions (Before/after pics below). Trains are much more efficient now since they have to spend less time waiting in junctions. Also this means that my mainline can support much more trains simultaneously now.

Some after/before pics:

The Coal Drop Off Station now (Old one in starting post):
Spoiler:

How my double track T-junctions used to look like vs. what they look like now (I used this general layout for all my T-junctions: https://i.imgur.com/1UYrShn.png):
Before:
Spoiler:

After (Yes, this is taken from exact same place as the above one):
Spoiler:

4-way double track junctions:
Before:
Spoiler:

After:
Spoiler:

Some other junctions where I used the same layout but slightly modified:
Spoiler:

And finally, this is the world map now:
Spoiler:

Swoopie

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Orrie » 07 Sep 2016 03:54

somegras wrote:Those screenshots remind me of the old Railroad tycoon. Good times.

Railroad Tycoon was fantastic fun. Hnnnggg.

Orrie

Commander
Commander

Postby somegras » 07 Sep 2016 13:34

Orrie wrote:
somegras wrote:Those screenshots remind me of the old Railroad tycoon. Good times.

I remember trying to download it again, but it didn't quite work on W7. I guess it doesn't on W10 either.

somegras

Postby Swoopie » 07 Sep 2016 13:53

somegras wrote:
Orrie wrote:

I remember trying to download it again, but it didn't quite work on W7. I guess it doesn't on W10 either.

Atleast in Railroad Tycoon 3, the fix was to download a updated engine config, which disabled Hardware T&L (Transform & Lightning) which is apparently why RRT3 (dunno about earlier versions) is incompatible with vista and later windows versions.

Swoopie

Ex-mr sexii
Ex-mr sexii

Postby Orrie » 07 Sep 2016 15:45

Swoopie wrote:
somegras wrote:
Orrie wrote:

Atleast in Railroad Tycoon 3, the fix was to download a updated engine config, which disabled Hardware T&L (Transform & Lightning) which is apparently why RRT3 (dunno about earlier versions) is incompatible with vista and later windows versions.

Aye;
phpBB [video]

Orrie

Commander
Commander

Postby somegras » 07 Sep 2016 15:57

Thanks, I might want to look into that one day. ^^

somegras

Return to Public Friends' Section